Registration available at the door.
July 19-21, 2019
Join us for a wonderful weekend of education, performance, and fun!
It’s Summer Camp – Region 21 Style! Join us at the gateway to the Inland Empire where the orange groves used to stretch for miles at Camp Orange Blossom in Ontario, CA this July. Our visiting “Camp Counselor” is Sharon Babb!
Need we say more? Probably not, but we will….Sharon Babb began her career right here in Region 21 and has been active ever since as a chapter and regional administrative leader, certified judge in both sound and music, judge specialist in sound, master faculty, chorus and quartet coach, International Board member, and – always and ever – a baritone. Sharon directed High Country Chorus when they were named international champions in 1987. She now travels the world as a chorus and quartet coach. Make your plans now to join us for this fabulous weekend of summer fun.
When: July 19-21, 2019
Where: Ontario Airport Hotel & Conference Center, Ontario, CA
Guest Faculty: Sharon Babb
Special programs: STARS OF THE WEST Young Women in Harmony Quartet Contest,
plus a Double Quartet Contest, International Showcase,
Color Choruses, Quartet Track, Arrangers Workshop, and so much more.
Registration for the Stars of the West Contest is FREE and includes an AET for each competitor. Quartets must register together.
Palm trees…a swimming pool…mountains rising in the distance…ringing chords overhead.
700 N Haven Ave
Ontario, CA 91764
Conveniently located just two miles from Ontario International Airport and four miles from the Ontario Convention Center, the Ontario Airport Hotel & Conference Center offers an array of resort-style amenities without the resort fee, such as a well-equipped fitness center, an outdoor pool and hot tub and a business center. Airport shuttle, complimentary local shuttle, Wi-Fi, and parking are all free.
Use the link below to make your housing reservation at the Ontario Airport Hotel at the Region 21 rate. The housing deadline has passed (was June 18, 2019) so contact the hotel to reserve a room or make any changes to an existing reservation – regular rates apply (if rooms are available).
Region 21 rates (no longer guaranteed as of June 18):
- King Standard: $109/night
- Double/Double Standard: $119/night
Room rate does not include taxes (currently 13.94%, subject to change). Group room rate is available for two days before and after the event.
Book your room directly by clicking here: Camp Orange Blossom Housing Link
All Events Tickets (AETs):
The convention registration verification is the All Events Ticket, which is a name badge. All seminar participants must purchase an AET. All Events Tickets (AETs) include all educational programs, the Stars of the West Contest, the Double Quartet Contest, the International Showcase, and Color Choruses.
Early bird registration deadline for Camp Orange Blossom has been extended to June 18, 2019. After that date, the price of an AET will increase by $30. Early bird prices for AETs are:
- AET registrations $60.00
- AET YOUTH registrations $30.00 (Age 25 and below)
- Stars of the West Quartets FREE
- AET registrations $90.00
- AET YOUTH registrations $60.00 (Age 25 and below)
- Stars of the West Quartets FREE
Show Ticket Prices:
Saturday’s Double Quartet Contest, International Showcase, and Stars of the West Contest are included with the AET purchase price. Those who purchase an AET are guaranteed a seat. Remaining seats will be available to those without an AET who purchase Show Tickets, which will be sold on a space-available, first-come, first-served basis at the door only.
- Saturday Evening Show ONLY (Stars of the West, Double Quartet Contest, and International Showcase): $15.00
Performers on Saturday night’s International Showcase who do not have an AET may enjoy the performances standing in the back of the ballroom. Those who wish to have a seat must purchase a show ticket.
AETs and show tickets are transferable but NOT refundable.
Showcase your talents at the new Region 21 contest, Stars of the West. Quartets of young women are invited to share their music with singers from across the region, compete to win prizes, and get valuable feedback from Sweet Adelines judges. All are welcome – though it is a Region 21 contest, quartets from across the country – or across the world – are invited to join us in Ontario, CA. for education, competition, and fun.
Stars of the West will be conducted according to the rules and regulations of the Sweet Adelines International Rising Star Contest. (What is Rising Star? Click here to read about Rising Star on the Sweet Adelines website). Quartets will sing two contestable barbershop songs (maximum time limit of 7 minutes before point penalties are incurred). The Rising Star judging system and scoring criteria will be used by a panel of certified Sweet Adeline judges. Level descriptors can be found here, and Rising Star score sheets are available here. Guidelines specific to the Stars of the West contest will be sent to each registrant who indicates she intends to compete and also will be posted here.
Eligibility to Compete:
Any youth quartet may participate as long as each woman is age 25 or younger at the time of the contest. No Sweet Adeline membership or chorus affiliation is required. (Though your local chorus is happy to provide guidance – just ask!) There is no cost to participate and quartet members receive an AET for each contestant – contestants must register as a Stars of the West quartet to receive a FREE AET. Participation in the Stars of the West contest is in no way connected to the Rising Star contest – quartets may compete in both contests if they so choose.
Top quartets will earn Stars of the West medals. The winning quartet will receive four (4) All Events Tickets (AETs) with VIP seating and one hotel room night to attend the Golden West Region 21 Spring Convention and Competition in Phoenix, AZ on April 2-5, 2020. They will also be invited to perform on the Saturday evening “Harmony Showcase.” The second place quartet will receive four (4) All Events Tickets (AETs) to the Spring convention, and the third place quartet will receive half-price AETs. Winners of the Stars of the West contest are eligible to compete in the next year.
Let your light shine at Stars of the West!
This is a preliminary schedule. Check back here for additions and revisions. Plans are still in the works.
Trouble reading the schedule? Click here to view the embedded schedule in a separate window.
DOUBLE QUARTET COMPETITION RULES
1. The Double Quartet Competition shall be held under the supervision of the Competition Coordinator (CC) and the Events Coordinator (EvC).
2. The Double Quartet Competition shall be for the purpose of encouraging quartet participation, providing an opportunity to experience competition, and providing opportunities to show creativity in performing. Registered quartet members are encouraged to mentor future quartet members.
3. Any Double Quartet shall be eligible to compete provided that:
a) All of its members are in good standing with their Chapter or Chapter-At-Large, the Region, and Sweet Adelines International.
b) At least three (3) of its members are non-registered quartet members,
c) A majority (5 or more) members are members of Region 21, and
d) All of its members have paid the registration fee for the seminar.
Double Quartets who are not eligible based on b) or c) above may perform “For Evaluation Only” and are not eligible for awards.
4. It shall be permissible for members to compete in a second Double Quartet providing proper notification of double participation is indicated at the time of entry so that necessary adjustments in the “Draw for Order of Appearance” can be made. However, no more than three (3) members of a Double Quartet may compete in the same second Double Quartet.
5. Double Quartets winning any awards shall be eligible to compete the following year.
6. Double Quartets shall submit entry registration to the CC no later than the entry deadline date.
7. Drawing for the order of appearance shall be held at the briefing; the results of the draw shall be posted upon completion of the draw.
8. Selection of the judges shall be the duty of the EvC, EC, and CC.
9. Awards will be presented in the following categories:
- 1st Place
- 2nd Place
- 3rd Place
- Golden Banana Award (Comedy)
10. Scoring shall be according to Sweet Adelines International’s rules of competition.