REGISTER NOW BELOW! DEADLINE
IS FRIDAY JULY 22 EXTENDED TO AUGUST 4!
August 19-21, 2016
Join us for a wonderful weekend of education, performance, and fun!
It’s Summer Camp – Region 21 Style! Beat the heat and sail away to Camp Sea Breeze in San Diego this August. Our visiting “Camp Counselor” is none other than Karen Breidert, the 2015 Sweet Adeline Lifetime Achievement Award recipient. Karen has achieved the level of “Master Faculty” and “Master Director,” and will be sharing her immense knowledge and skills. She recently retired from directing Spirit of the Gulf Chorus, helping them win the coveted “Most Entertaining Chorus Award” three times. She has won 9 international quartet medals – including the championship with Jubilation in 1985 and with “the BUZZ” in 2005. Karen was International President of Sweet Adelines from 1998-1999. Karen has a Bachelor’s Degree in Education and Foreign Language and a Master’s Degree in Guidance and Counseling.
Karen’s classes will include:
- We Came Here to Sing! – a fun interactive class with lots of singing
- More Important Than Shoes – a Vocal Production class
- The Personality Puzzle
- Barbershop: It’s What We Do! – the uniqueness of barbershop and special skills and that even professional singers need to master to sing this art form successfully
- and much more!
Register and make you hotel reservations NOW to attend this amazing weekend.
When: August 19-21, 2016
Where: Town and Country Resort, San Diego, CA
Guest Faculty: Karen Breidert
Special programs: STARS OF THE WEST Young Women in Harmony Quartet Contest, plus an
Arrangers Workshop, Double Quartet Contest, International Showcase, Chorus Leader Workshops,
Saturday night Camp Dinner, and so much more.
Registration to enter the Stars of the West Contest is included in the AET price. To register for the contest, indicate your intention on your online registration below and a contestant e-packet will be set via email as soon as it is available.
Enjoy it all at the nostalgic Town and Country Resort and Convention Center with multiple swimming pools, day spa, shuttles to the neighboring mall and golf course, and just minutes from the zoo, beach, and San Diego’s attractions!
500 Hotel Circle North
San Diego,CA 92108
The Town and Country Resort is a land mark hotel. In San Diego for over 60 years, the new Town and Country is a modern expression of the 1960’s Southern California vibe, relaxed, playful, and connected. Go to the Town and Country website to see for yourself. Room rate for the seminar is only $125.00 for singles and doubles, $135 for triples, and $145 for quads plus tax per night using the Region 21 rate.
Reservation link: https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do?mode=welcome_ei_new&eventID=14924345
Reservation phone: 800-772-8527
Direct your accommodations questions to Events Coordinator, Della Davis.
Camp registration is open below. Don’t delay – there is a maximum capacity for the event, and you don’t want to miss being a part of the fun!
All Events Tickets (AETs):
The convention registration verification is the All Events Ticket, which is a name badge. All seminar participants must purchase an AET. All Events Tickets (AETs) include all educational programs, the Stars of the West Contest, the Double Quartet Contest, the International Showcase, and Saturday dinner.
The registration deadline for Camp Sea Breeze is July 22, 2016. After that date, a $30 late fee will be added to the registration fee. Costs for AETs are:
- AET registrations $80.00 (includes Saturday “Camp” dinner)
- AET YOUTH registrations $50.00 (Age 25 and below)
Single Event Ticket Prices:
Saturday’s Double Quartet Contest, International Showcase, and Stars of the West Contest are included with the AET purchase price. Those who purchase an AET are guaranteed a seat. Remaining seats will be available to those without an AET who purchase Single Event Tickets (SETs). SETs will be sold on a space-available, first-come, first-served basis at the door only. Prices are:
- Saturday Evening Show ONLY (Stars of the West, Double Quartet Contest, and International Showcase: $15.00
Performers on Saturday night’s International Showcase who do not have an AET may enjoy the performances standing in the back of the ballroom. Those who wish to have a seat must purchase a SET.
AETs and SETs are transferable but NOT refundable.
Fill out the online registration form below. When you are finished, the confirmation page will have the information you need to pay for your registration (links to a PayPal payment page or the address to remit a check). If you choose to pay via PayPal, when your payment has been processed, you will be sent to a “success” page and you will be emailed a receipt of your transaction from PayPal. Payments by check will be confirmed upon processing by the Regional Registrar.
Questions? Problems? Changes?
AFTER you have completed your registration, if you have a concern or issue, email the registrar:
Saturday, August 20, 2016
Showcase your talents at the new Region 21 contest, Stars of the West. Quartets of young women are invited to share their music with singers from across the region, compete to win prizes, and get valuable feedback from Sweet Adelines judges. All are welcome – though it is a Region 21 contest, quartets from across the country – or across the world – are invited to join us in sunny San Diego for education, competition, and fun.
Stars of the West will be conducted according to the rules and regulations of the Sweet Adelines International Rising Star Contest. Quartets will sing two contestable barbershop songs (maximum time limit of 7 minutes before point penalties are incurred). The Rising Star judging system and scoring criteria will be used by a panel of certified Sweet Adeline judges. Level descriptors can be found here, and Rising Star score sheets are available here. Guidelines specific to the Stars of the West contest will be sent to each registrant who indicates she intends to compete and also will be posted here.
Eligibility to Compete:
Any youth quartet may participate as long as each woman is age 25 or younger at the time of the contest. No Sweet Adeline membership or chorus affiliation is required. (Though your local chorus is happy to provide guidance – just ask!) The cost to participate is an AET. All four members of the quartet must have an AET (there will be no additional contestant fee, youth rates apply). Participation in the Stars of the West contest is in no way connected to the Rising Star contest – quartets may compete in both contests if they so choose.
Top quartets will earn Stars of the West medals. The winning quartet will receive four (4) All Events Tickets (AETs) with VIP seating to the Golden West Region 21 Spring Convention and Competition in Phoenix, AZ on April 20-23, 2017. They will also be invited to perform on the Saturday evening “Harmony Showcase.” The second place quartet will receive four (4) All Events Tickets (AETs) to the Spring convention, and the third place quartet will receive half-price AETs. Winners of the Stars of the West contest are eligible to compete in the next year.
Let your light shine at Stars of the West!
Saturday, August 20, 2016
DOUBLE QUARTET COMPETITION RULES
1. The Double Quartet Competition shall be held under the supervision of the Competition Coordinator (CC) and the Events Coordinator (EvC).
2. The Double Quartet Competition shall be for the purpose of encouraging quartet participation, providing an opportunity to experience competition, and providing opportunities to show creativity in performing. Registered quartet members are encouraged to mentor future quartet members.
3. Any Double Quartet shall be eligible to compete provided that:
a) All of its members are in good standing with their Chapter or Chapter-At-Large, the Region, and Sweet Adelines International.
b) At least three (3) of its members are non-registered quartet members,
c) A majority (5 or more) members are members of Region 21, and
d) All of its members have paid the registration fee for the seminar.
Double Quartets who are not eligible based on b) or c) above may perform “For Evaluation Only” and are not eligible for awards.
4. It shall be permissible for members to compete in a second Double Quartet providing proper notification of double participation is indicated at the time of entry so that necessary adjustments in the “Draw for Order of Appearance” can be made. However, no more than three (3) members of a Double Quartet may compete in the same second Double Quartet.
5. Double Quartets winning any awards shall be eligible to compete the following year.
6. Double Quartets shall submit entry blanks to the CC no later than the entry deadline date.
7. Drawing for the order of appearance shall be held at the briefing; the results of the draw shall be posted upon completion of the draw.
8. Selection of the judges shall be the duty of the EvC and CC.
9. Awards will be presented in the following categories:
- 1st Place
- 2nd Place
- 3rd Place
- Golden Banana Award (Comedy)
10. Scoring shall be according to Sweet Adelines International’s rules of competition.